Snowmobiling in Maine
When experienced snowmobilers are ready to go sledding, they know Maine is often the only place in New England with snow! Our northern most location is ideal for those Maine snow flurries that start as early as October and often provide great snowmobile conditions until late April.
Snowmobile terrain: Did you know that Maine is bigger than the 5 other New England States combined? It is! With more square miles than the rest of New England combined, it is no small wonder we have the most terrain and snowmobile trails in the Northeast! The scenery as your ride through Maien is exceptiaonal- one of the most beautiful places to snowmobile in the East, and the country! You can even ride from Maine to Canada or New Hampshire.
Maine snowmobile clubs and orgnizations, even volunteers, make sure that much of the vast Maine snowmobile trail network system is maintained with quality groomed trails and clear signage. Maine's abundance of snow is the frosting on the cake, making your snowmobile ride through Maine's woods, along Maine's lakes and mountains that much better for the sledder.
Maine snowmobiling trips can vary from a day trip, to a weekend or week of exploring trails and the wild on your sled. Snowmobilers will find a wide range of comfortable lodging from camps to full service hotels and resorts, and a variety of good restaurants - many of whcih you can ride to on your sled. Add to that quality snow, great trails, signage and even fabulous shopping, should you decide to take a day off your sled.
Maine's snowmobiling clubs and volunteers are constantly consulting landowners about trail passage privileges, brushing trails, building and repairing bridges, posting signage and grooming the trail system to welcome riders.
Most years, snow blankets the state all winter, whether you like your sledding wild and untracked or groomed with trail signage, Maine has it all, all winter.
Ride Safe: Please always ride safely, operate within the law and respect private landowners, the land, road crossing safety, and club efforts. Snowmobile in Maine this winter. Ride Right, and enjoy.
Current Regional Snow Depth Map
Maine ITS Snowmobile Trail Map
Maine Snowmobile Rules and Regulations
Lodging in Moosehead Area and Snow Reports - Cozy Moose Lakeside Cabin Rentals - Greenville
Lodging in Moosehead Area: Moosehead Hills Cabins - Greenville
Lodging in the Katahdin Area: 5 Lakes Lodge - Millinocket
Snowmobile Registration and Information
All snowmobiles, both resident and non-resident, must be registered in the state of Maine. The state of Maine does not have reciprocity with other states for snowmobile registrations.
Cost of Snowmobile Registration
Online Snowmobile Registration
Mail in Registration:
Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife,
284 State Street 41 SHS, Augusta, Maine 04333-0041, 207-287-8000
Fees for registering are as follows:
$68* for a season registration
$58* for a 10-consecutive day registration
$43* for a 3-consecutive day registration
$33* for season registration (July 1 - June 30)
Guide Services, Tours
• Allagash Guide Service l 928 Allagash Road, Allagash, Maine 04774, 207-398-3418
• Cozy Moose Lakeside Cabins and Sled Rentals, In Sandy Bay On Moosehead Lake 207-695-0242
• Enchanted Outfitters and Lodge, 3775 Us Rt. 201, West Forks, Maine 04985, 207-663-2238
• Grand View Lodging, PO Box 92, West Forks, Maine 04985
• Lunksoos Camps, PO Box 252, Sherman Mills, Maine 04776, 207-365-4548
Maine Guides Online Guide services available for snowmobiling and a variety of outdoor activities
• Marshall Inn l PO Box 9, West Forks, Maine 04985, 207-663-4455.
• New England Outdoor Center l PO Box 669, Medway Road, Its 83, Millinocket, Maine 04462, 207-723-5523.
• North Country Rivers l PO Box 633, Bingham, Maine 04920. 800-348-8871
• Northern Outdoors, PO Box 100, Route 201, The Forks, Maine 04985, One Day And Multi-Day Lodge To Lodge Tours. Modern Fleet Of Well-Maintained Ski-Doo's. 207-663-4466
• North American Outdoor Adventure l National Scenic Byway 201, PO Box 64, West Forks, Maine 04985
• North Woods Tours Inc and First Settler's Lodge l PO Box 56, Weston, Maine 04424, 207-448-3000
• Northwoods Outfitters l Main Street, Greenville, Maine 04441, 207-695-3288
• Sunrise Ridge Guide Service and Sporting Camps l PO Box 435, Bingham, Maine 04920, 207-672-5551
• Sun Valley Sports l 129 Sunday River Road, Bethel, Maine 04217
• Three Rivers Snow l PO Box 10, West Forks, Maine 04985
• Wilsons On Moosehead Lake l Rt. 15 - Hc 37, Box 200, Greenville Junction, Maine 04442
• American Dream Restaurant and Lounge l 2185 St. John Road, St. John Plantation, Maine 04743. 207-834-6452
• The Birches Resort On Moosehead Lake l PO Box 81, Rockwood, Maine 04478, 207-534-2242
• The Black Frog l PO Box 1286, Greenville, Maine 04441 207-695-1100
• Blackwater Outfitters, 1670 Masardis Road, Masardis Maine 04759, 207-435-2031
• Bowlin Camps, PO Box 251, Patten, Maine 04765. 207-365-4500
• Crab Apple Whitewater l 3 Lake Moxie Road, The Forks, Maine 04985
• Enchanted Outfitters and Lodge, 3775 US Rt. 201, West Forks, Maine 04985, 207-663-2238
• The Evergreens Restaurant and Lounge, Rt. 201a, Solon, Maine 04979 207-643-2324
• Fiddleheads Restaurant, At Lakeside Lodge l 75 Old Main Street, Eagle Lake, Maine, 207-444-4832
• Gateway Motel and Restaurant l PO Box 385, US Rt. 1, Madawaska, Maine 04756 207-728-3318
• Historic Pittston Farm l Hc 85, Box 525, Rockwood, Maine 04478, 207-280-0000
• Kenduskeag Golf and Country Club l 947 Grant Rd. Kenduskeag, Maine 04450, 207-884-7330
• Lunksoos Camps, PO Box 252, Sherman Mills, Maine 04776. 207-365-4548
• The Madison Inn-Restaurant and Health Club l PO Box 398, Rt. 2, Rumford, Maine 04276, 207-364-7973
• Moosehead Inn l PO Box 250, Rockwood, Maine 04478, 207-534-7337
• North American Outdoor Adventure l PO Box 64, West Forks, Maine 04985. 207-663-4430
• Northern Outdoors, PO Box 100, Rt. 201, The Forks, Maine 04985.
• Open-Timbered Log Lodge, Kennebec River Brewpub l On-Site Gas/Oil, Groomed Trail Access. 207-663-4466
• Northern Pride Lodge l Hc 76 Box 588 (Kokadjo), Greenville, Maine 04441, 207-695-2890
• Pamola Motor Lodge l 973 Central Street, Millinocket, Maine 04462 207-723-9746
• Patrick's Restaurant and Pub l PO Box 633, Bingham, Maine 04920
• Quinn's Jockey Cap Country Store and Motel l 116 Bridgton Rd, Rt. 302, Fryeburg, Maine 04037, 207-935-2306
• Riders Pub and Grub l PO Box 10, West Forks, Maine 04985
• River Drivers' Restaurant l Medway Road At The Rice Farm, Its 83 Millinocket PO Box 669, Maine 04462
Snowmobiles, Parts, Service, Accessories
• Chandler Farms, Your Maine Polaris Dealer. Presque Isle, Maine 04769 207-764-5228.
• Larsen's Small Engine, PO Box 264, Mount Desert, Maine 04660, 207-288-2938;
• Moosehead Sled Repair and Rentals LLC, PoO Box 57, Rockwood, Maine 04478, 207-534-2261
• Sno Parts East l 645 Allen Pond Road, Greene, Maine 04236, New, Used And Vintage Parts. 207-946-5788
Snowmobile Friendly Lodging | Maine Ski Areas l White Water Rafting l ATV Maine l Hunting l Moose Safari