Maine is world famous for its fall foliage. The brilliant display of colored leaves from bright red maples to orange oaks and golden birch, is generally peak late September to mid October with Columbus Day Weekend being prime (and a holiday weekend – hint hint). But the kaleidoscope of colors starts in September and continues through the month of October. Visiting anytime in fall, you will surely fall for autumn in Maine – Vacationland!
There are certain must see’s in Maine during fall foliage season, see our list of activities and attractions for your Maine fall trip and enjoy your autumn activities in the Pine Tree State.
1. Bring your camera, you will want to capture the colors of Maine’s foliage, for facebook and instagram posts, or for your friends back home… or to frame! 2. Discover the simple pleasure of a bike ride down an old dirt road with the crisp autumn leaves crunching under your bicycle tires.
3. Get out on the water, with a Maine charter boat, sail boat cruise or lobster boat tour, to see the contrast of the brilliant blue water with the autumn leaves.
4. Keep off the grass, but enjoy a nature walk, Maine is resplendent with state parks, reserve and conservation trust land that is open to the public for the perfect fall foliage walk. Remember, take only pictures, leave only your footprints! 5. Enjoy the last Maine Lobster of the season… see our favorite Maine waterfront restaurants for seafood, clams, or a fresh Maine lobster!
6. Paddle a canoe or kayak on a calm cool Maine river…
7. Shop for Maine made products and crafts at the many Maine fairs and festivals in fall…
8. Reserve a room at a romantic bed and breakfast or waterfront inn in Maine… fall is for falling in love in Maine! You will love the scenery and serene B&Bs in Kennebunkport, Ogunquit, Camden and Boothbay Harbor for starts…
9. Pick the perfect Maine apples, pumpkin, and mums, to bring home as a reminder of your time in Maine! 10. Just enjoy the subtle serene surroundings of fall in Maine, you’ll be glad you came. See our Maine lodging guide for where to stay, play and explore in Maine!
Copyright 2018 VisitMaine.net